Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What A Difference A Little Love Can Make...

Okay, so it's no secret that I have been frustrated as of late with quite a few things going on in my life. As this quarter has progressed so has my frustration with trying to bridge the gap between Community College and my University plans. Last week was nearly unbearable and yet somehow I still have so many amazing people in my life that it feels wrong to dwell in misery (as I have been accustomed to doing in the past...).

My son has always been a source of relief to me. His innocence and energy are always simple and positive and being around him reminds me that life can always be joyous if we choose to focus on that which brings us joy. Sometimes it is as simple as his saying, "Dad, count to ten and then help me with Zelda!" Or he might say something as poignant as "The important thing about holidays is spending time with the people you love..." My point is that sometimes a simple approach is the best one.

Recently, I started dating someone new. I have learned (the hard way) what it is I am looking for and what, exactly, I have to offer someone else. Let me just say that she is everything I have ever dreamt of and then some. She has met my son and they hit it off like I have never seen between he and anybody! She is very natural with him and this is only amplified by the fact that she hasn't children of her own. But she was born to be a mother. The simple, natural exchange between these two people has been nothing less than inspirational to me. So, while I still have all the problems of last week, I am encouraged in my heart that life works in ways we do not fully understand and that knowing the path is not what is important. The continued pursuit of the path is.

Even though we will all face challenges for the rest of our lives, I now know that our attitudes can be directly controlled by seeking out what inspires us, what we love. I would be curious to know from others what inspires you? What can make the sun shine for you on your darkest days? Sharing even the most simplest of pleasures can inspire others or remind them of things they may have forgotten.

Hoping this helps even one person,

-AdRock

4 comments:

  1. First, let me point out one of the most important things in this post, the fact that you are teaching your son Zelda .... that is beautiful, truly beautiful :) (couldn't resist, I am a Zelda nut :)

    I think your post this week is very relevant to your blog's theme: a traveler in the forest. life is a journey, and if everything went our way, it would be a rather boring journey. Still, of course, it is helpful to have people around us to encourage us, make us better, and help us grow. I'm delighted to have that for yourself. A friend of mine sent me this quote today, and I thought you might enjoy it as well: "It takes far more courage to notice the positive than the negative. You've been conditioned by your culture and the mainstream media to focus on what could go wrong instead of what's working well. What you pay attention to expands, so have the courage to remain positive whenever possible." - Dr. Christiane Northrup

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is actually really inspirational to me. I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes days seem extremely hard and there's times where I cannot faint for tomorrow. I recently started volunteering at my old k-8 school and have been helping out mainly with the preschoolers and kindergarteners. It reminds me of how life used to be, so innocent and carefree. You don't have to worry about bills or working 2 jobs while going to school full time. And those 6 hours a week volunteering really relieves my stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rebecca, Zelda is a must for any child to grow up with... Like you it's about time for me to make the transition to a University. I started at WSU out of high school but unfortunate circumstances landed me back home. Now that my AA is almost complete I can start to look at University options that suit me a little better. Very inspirational post! Good luck with your transition and growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have an amazing son! I am glad that you have that ray of light in your life even when things are not going so well. I do not have children but I plan to in the next few years. My ray of light is my girlfriend of nearly four years. Although we have our problems sometimes (who doesn't?) we always make it through it stronger. She makes me a better person.

    ReplyDelete