Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Houston!

So... I'm about to get a whole new perspective! After searching for work in this area for months I have come up with bupkiss (is that how you spell that made-up word?). I am now going to Houston, TX, ya'll! My old boss has a new contract and I'm going down to manage it. Good news: It's only hours away from my place of birth, which I've never seen; Bad news: I have to leave my son for a month at a time (BOO!!!).

I'm going to "brightside" this. I love going to new places, meeting new people and trying to understand different lifestyles. This is going to be a learning experience and I know I can get the best out of it. (Damn, I'm going to miss my kid.) Houston is really inexpensive so the money I make will go a long way. Also, if the job goes well, it could turn into a very promising career. (No more one-minute dance parties on the weekends; that kid can really move!)

As you can see, I am mildly(!) torn here. I hate not having options, but I feel lucky to have one pretty good option. I can make this a good experience by manifesting it that way, but still... My boy makes my heart beat.

I guess I'll end this with "Wish me luck"???

-Adrock

4 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, this is going to be a tough one. Houston is beautiful though. You don't say how long you will be doing this, just for the summer? A month is an eternity for an 8 year old. I hope it is good for your overall objective, then it will be quite worth it, especially if it can help put your son through college, I hope it all goes well for the greater good toward your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, it is so strange that my post did not make it through! I was suggesting that you use skype and or the hangout function on google+. Make sure your son is set up with a computer and camera so that you can see each other why you talk. The cool thing about hangout is that you can do online games together, view youtube games together and video chat. If you have time, plan a virtual field trip that the two of you can take online when you are away. These are amazing tooks for situations just like yours! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really tough situation, but the long term benefit will hopefully be worth it. I think it sounds like it will be. I also love getting to experience new places and after living in Georgia for years I thought Texas seemed very appealing. I love the suggestions that Rebecca made, I didn't realize you can do all of that over video chat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adam,

    I really loved how you chose to write about the 'brightside' of things in your post. So often it is easy for us to focus on the negative side of things; I personally find myself (even sometimes unintentionally or subconsciously) being a 'Negative Nancy' and only seeing the possible bad parts to situations. I think with a positive mindset like yours, you will be able to travel to Houston (and while you will miss your child) and flourish there much more successfully. It could open a lot of new doors for you, and even if it doesn't, you're trying something you've never done before (always admirable) and you will learn from it no matter what. A month will fly by!

    Cheers,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete